South Downs: Plumpton to Lewes


Something of a lapse had ensued since I had last done a "proper" walk out in the countryside - over a month in fact. This was partly caused by not having a clear plan for where to go next after finishing the South Downs Way, partly down to having other things on at the weekends, partly down to a bout of ill health, and partly down to the weather being a bit uninspiring for some of that period (although the last two weeks of February had been glorious, so no excuse then!)

Anyhow, I planned a relatively short walk for today, thinking Chie and Erika might join me (although they ultimately decided not to) and partly because I thought after a break, and having been a bit under the weather for some of the interim, I probably ought to ease myself back into it gently.

I'm still trying to decide on the next "project" - another long distance path to do in segments as I did with the South Downs Way, but in the meantime having really fallen in love with the South Downs I wanted to go back, and revisit some parts, plus fill in a couple of bits I'd missed the first time round.

Also, having been attending a part-time viticulture course ran by Plumpton College over the past few months I was keen to see where the college itself was - all our sessions are held off site. So today I decided to walk from Plumpton to Lewes, which would mean easy public transport links at both ends.


The walk started at Plumpton station, and after a short detour into the centre of the village (actually the station is in Plumpton Green rather than Plumpton proper) to visit the village stores, I headed in the direction of the ridge of the South Downs, looming enticingly in the distance. Getting over the right side of the railway proved slightly challenging, as there was a temporary footpath closure, and I ended up crossing at the main level crossing where cars also go over.

Immediately to the south of Plumpton station - adjoining in fact - is Plumpton race course, and it took a good 10 minutes or so just to get to the other side of this. It was a bit odd to see a race course so completely devoid of any people or horses, sort of a ghost town feel to it.


Beyond the race course was a farm, with a pleasingly rustic looking farmyard (complete with various abandoned furniture and so on strewn about the place) and a nice display of daffodils.


Beyond the farm were open fields, with nice unrestricted views to the Downs beyond. I was able to get a good view, albeit from a distance, of the V shaped tree formation which was planted on the side of the ridge between Ditchling Beacon and Black Cap, to commemorate Queen Victoria.


Eventually I came to Plumpton College and got at least a glimpse of what life might be like for the full time students. It is in a great spot, just at the foot of the Downs, and I didn't really capture it here but it must be lovely to have that view on a daily basis. As an added bonus as it was lambing season there were lambs in the field at the front of the main college building.


My planned lunch stop was the Half Moon Inn in Plumpton, not far from the college. Being the closest pub this is presumably an occasional haunt of staff and students, but being a weekend there was no obvious sign of this today. It was quite a food led sort of a pub (my order was taken at my table). I can't say I was a big fan of their veggie burger to be honest, but it filled a hole as Mum would say, and soon I was back out on the trail.


From the Half Moon, it was pretty much a case of going straight up the hill. I found this a little tough going today to be honest, perhaps because it had been a few weeks since my last walk, but even at the best of times getting up the Downs involves a fairly steep ascent.



It was about a 35 minute climb from the Half Moon to the trig point on top of Black Cap. Unfortunately not really the best of views today! The skies were decidedly grey. More daffodils to be found atop Black Cap though.

Once the tough bit was over though I started to get into my stride a bit more and found the walk from there along the ridge towards Lewes quite pleasant.


It seems my mind was on other things, and I didn't really take many photos from there on. As I was nearing Lewes I paused to take a picture of the site of the Battle of Lewes. Although now of course it just looks like a field.


I arrived into Lewes not long after 2pm but decided not to linger as I was keen to get back to see the girls. I just stopped briely at the excellent Bonne Bouche chocolate shop before jumptng on a train back to London.

Comments