Radlett to Shenley

A short Saturday morning walk, which was very time efficient, as Radlett is only a 20 or so minute train journey from my nearest station, and although still (just) inside the M25, it's more or less the closest bit of genuine open countryside to where I live.


I started out from Radlett station, exited the station to the east, and headed up Shenley Hill to where I could see a footpath on the OS map which led out of town.


The first section through an unnamed stretch of woodland, which runs alongside Porters Park Golf Club (thankfully not visible from the path), was probably the nicest part of today's walk. The trees were looking very autumnal, and there was an accompany damp, slight chill in the air which felt very appropriate for the season. Despite being on the edge of town this little wood had a really nice atmosphere to it. A little way along I found a swing which the inner child in me couldn't resist having a go on.




Among the yellows and browns of the leaf litter on the ground were a selection of interesting looking mushrooms, although none of them edible as far as I'm aware - unless those slightly purple tinged ones were perhaps blewitts? I didn't pick any.

After the very pleasant wooded section, the path then headed out into open fields, which by contrast made for a rather bland walking experience, especially given the grey skies today... but that was fine, it was still nice to be outdoors in the fresh air, and it was all good exercise regardless.

Another unnamed (on the OS map at least) wooded area - a copse perhaps - then presented itself, which, although not quite as full of sylvan intrigue as the first wood, was at least an improvement on the rather bleak fields. This had a bowl like depression in the middle of it which gave it a slight sense of drama, and it gave me the sense of the sort of woods the local kids would probably enjoy running around and getting up to mischief in.

Another walk across a field, and I was then on the outskirts of Shenley - and suddenly remembered I had walked this section of the Hertfordshire Way (which skirts neatly around the perimeter of the village) before. The previous time it had been spring, and there had been a riot of blossom everywhere I looked. Today a much more muted colour palette, but still some pleasing autumnal hues.

Once I realised I had been to Shenley before, I was reminded of the cafe where I'd enjoyed a cooked breakfast on that previous visit, and despite the fact it was by now after 11am I decided that was something I'd like to repeat. So I headed once again to the Orchard Cafe and had another of their very generously portioned vegetarian breakfasts.

I mulled over possibly taken a more indirect route from there back to Radlett, so I could follow the footpaths, but in the end decided I'd just go the most direct route, along the road. As it turned out there was a pavement all the way along, so this wasn't too bad.

So a short walk today, only 5 miles or so, and certainly not the most spectacular countryside, but it was gratifying to have such a time efficient outing - I left home just before 10am, and was back before 1pm.

Comments